Monday, June 2, 2008

As the school year comes to an end....

I feel it's time to let everyone know that we've decided to homeschool the kids from here on out. Homeschooling my children is something that has been on my heart from the time Kaylin was entering school. I never really felt at ease with the idea that my children would spend 7 hours with teachers and children who didn't share our same morals and beliefs. I know that we can't protect our children from the world completely, but I feel like it is my job to protect them for as long as possible. There is a big arguement out there, that our christian children need to interact with non-christians as a form of evangelism, the "salt and light" effect. I don't buy it. As adults, yes that is our job, but that is not a child's job. They are not strong enough yet.

I know it's going to be a challenge. I have done my research and I've been praying fervently about this decision. After all, we DID move out here for "better schools". I feel like God will give me the strength I need and He will bless my obedience. I have lots of friends who homeschool and I will turn to them for support. Our church has a rather large homeschooling group that we plan to join and we will just take it day by day.

As far as socialization....that's the oldest complaint in the book. There are tons of activites that my kids will be involved in. Activities that we choose together and that I can be directly involved in. I feel that there is just too much at stake and I can't take the chance that my kids might turn out ok, despite all the peer pressure and influence.

In case you were wondering what lead to this final decision, feel free to read on at:
http://www.101reasons.org/

5 comments:

Laura said...

If we didn't live where we do, I would be homeschooling as well. I totally believe that kids need to be around positive influences that have the same belief systems. Where we are living it is probably about 95% LDS... the teachers at the school are all LDS, the principal is, "most" of the kids are, all of our neighbors with kids are... I joke with Chris and say that our kids are attending a religious boarding school since they are surrounded by people with the same beliefs all day long. Good for you for making the best choice for your family. Good luck with homeschooling. I know that Justin learned way more in first grade being homeschooled than he would have if he attended public school where we were living. Now we encourage him to work on extra projects after school to supplement his public school education. Oh, and ITA about socialization... kids don't learn that in school. My kids have more socialization opportunities in their extra-curricular activities and playdates outside of school.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beckie, I was just gonna email you, lol!
Anyway, this is such good news! The first year is usually the hardest. I tried to sort of duplicate school when I started and I got worn out very easily. We have been unschooling most of our hs'ing years and it works really well for us. It not formal, it doesn't "look" like school, but the kids are learning like crazy! And it's so relaxed and easy on us. The only thing that's hard is never getting a break from the kids at all, lol!
You've got my email if you ever want to chat. Or you can call if you want my #---I know it's hard to talk on the phone with the kids around, but it's easier than typing a LOT of info. :)

Audra said...

Good for you. I could tell that was really where your heart was in some of your myspace blogs. I just finished up my student teaching at Classical Academy and I fell in love with home schooling. Kids get plenty of time to be with other children. Especially since you have four they get socialization just being at home.

Andie Johnson said...

I'm really excited (and admittedly scared) for you. I so badly want to be able to do this for my children, but don't know if I can do it! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. You truly inspire me. I guess those kids are getting "better schools" in CO afterall! Pat on the back for seeking God's wisdom first and knowing that His truths are the most important. Love you, can't wait to catch up!

Sara Jones said...

I haven't been able to catch up on blogs for a while. Well, that's surprising and encouraging news! I so agree with you that our kids should not have to bear the burden of trying to learn to "deal" with situations they might encounter everyday at school. God's will is that we bring up our children in the way they should go... not throw our children in settings where they must be the light and the salt. Our job is to train them to be able to do that. As far as the socialization argument, I get that from both sides of our family. I see that the boys learn this best from each other! I'll most likely be homeschooling Andrew in the fall. Right now, he is on B-track at the Classical Academy, which means he'll be in school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I might be turning to you for support, mama!