Friday, March 14, 2008

Tae Kwon Do


Yesterday I took Kaylin and Andrew for an introductory Tae Kwon Do lesson. Andrew joined the 5 year old class called "Little Ninjas" and he had a blast. They have to say "yes sir" to their teachers and they got to do an obstacle course. It's right up Andrew's ally, except he's still wondering when he gets his sword. Kaylin had a private lesson because her class is a little more advanced and she needed to catch up. I was amazed with the entire lesson. Her teacher spent time talking with Kaylin about respect, focus, listening and confidence. Then he taught her some kicks, punches and lots of Tae Kwon Do lingo. I can tell she liked it, but she was also very overwhelmed. He gave her homework that consisted of cleaning her room, practicing her moves, and getting used to calling mommy and daddy "sir" and "ma'am". I really hope they continue with this because everyone knows that my kids need help with focusing and listening; and of course discipline is a great bonus.

3 comments:

Sara Jones said...

I want to get Andrew in martial arts one of these days. I like how they are big on respect and discipline. Andrew could use both. Let us know if you think it's worth it!

Sara Jones said...

Oh, and very cute about the sword! Such a boy. :)

Beckie said...

i will let you know how it goes. i am already impressed though.